
剧本角色

INEZ
女,0岁
音色偏御姐/女王,思想与情感的结合体。女同、邮局职员,曾与表嫂坠入爱河,并致表哥惨死。

VALET
男,0岁
过场人物,地狱打工人(只在前四幕出现)

ESTELLE
女,0岁
音色轻快,追求现实生活中的快乐。上流贵妇,溺婴者、性瘾者。

GARCIN
男,0岁
这个角色非常的神秘,他的简介遗失在星辰大海~

伊内丝
女,0岁
同INEZ

听差
男,0岁
同VALET
禁闭
让·保罗·萨特
人物配置:
VALET/听差:男
GARCIN/加尔散:男
INEZ/伊内丝:女
ESTELLE/艾丝黛尔:女
中英文皆可pia,由于译文版本原因,二者不完全字字对应
(故事从一个假想的地狱开始,地狱听差将三个死者先后引入一个封闭的房间)
第一场
[加尔散,听差]
[一间第二帝国时代款式的客厅,壁炉上放着一尊青铜像。]
GARCIN:(enters, accompanied by the VALET, and glances around him)So here we are?
加尔散:(进门,环顾)哦,就是这儿啦。
VALET: Yes, Mr. Garcin.
听差:就是这儿。
GARCIN: And this is what it looks like?
加尔散:原来是这个样子……
VALET: Yes.
听差:是这个样子。
GARCIN: Second Empire furniture, I observe... Well, well, I dare say one gets used to it in time.
加尔散:我……我想时间长了,人们对家具就会习惯了。
VALET: Some do, some don't.
听差:那要看什么人了。
GARCIN: All the rooms are like this one?
加尔散:所有的房间都是一个样吗?
VALET: How could they be? We cater for all sorts: Chinamen and Indians, for instance. What use would they have for a Second Empire chair?
听差:亏您想得出。上我们这儿来的有中国人,有印度人,您想他们要这第二帝国时代式样的椅子干什么?
GARCIN: And what use do you suppose I have for one? Do you know who I was? ... Oh, well, it's no great matter. And, to tell the truth, I had quite a habit of living among furniture that I didn't relish, and in false positions. I'd even come to like it. A false position in a Louis-Philippe dining room -- you know the style? -- well, that had its points, you know. Bogus in bogus, so to speak.
加尔散:那我呢,您要我拿它干什么呢?您知道我是谁?不谈了!这无关紧要。总之,我房间里总是摆设着不合我胃口的家具,我是生活在一个虚假的环境里;我倒喜欢这样。在路易-菲力浦式的餐厅里,置身在一个虚假的环境里,您难道不喜欢吗?
VALET: And you'll find that living in a Second Empire drawing-room has its points.
听差:往后您就知道了,在第二帝国时代的客厅里过日子也挺不错呢。
GARCIN: Really? ... Yes, yes, I dare say... Still, I certainly didn't expect -- this!! You know what they tell us down there?
加尔散:啊!好,好,好,好。(环顾四周)不过,我也许没有料想到……您不会不知道世上的人在谈论些什么吧?
VALET: About what?
听差:谈论些什么?
GARCIN: About...this- er~residence.
加尔散:喏……(做了个用意不明的大幅度手势)谈所有这一切呀。
VALET: Really, sir, how could you believe such cock-and-bull stories? Told by people who'd never set foot here. For, of course, if they had—
听差:您怎么可以相信这些蠢话?那些人从来没有跨进过这个地方。因为,说到头,要是他们来过这儿的话……
GARCIN: Quite so.
加尔散:对。
[两人一齐笑起来。]
GARCIN: But I say, where are the instruments of torture?
加尔散:(突然又严肃起来)尖桩刑具在哪儿?
VALET: The what?
听差:什么东西?
GARCIN: The racks and red-hot pincers and all the other paraphernalia?
加尔散:尖桩刑具,烤刑架,皮革漏斗。
VALET: Ah, you must have your little joke, sir.
听差:您想开玩笑吗?
GARCIN: My little joke? Oh, I see. No, I wasn't joking. No mirrors, I notice. No windows. Only to be expected. And nothing breakable. But damn it all, they might have left me my toothbrush!
加尔散:(看着他)啊?啊,好。不,我不想开玩笑。(稍停,来回踱步)当然喽,这儿没有镜子,没有窗户,没有任何容易打碎的东西。(突然声色俱厉)他们为什么要把我的牙刷拿走?
VALET: That's good! So you haven't yet got over your—what-do-you-call-it?—sense of human dignity? Excuse my smiling.
听差:您这又来了,您的人类尊严又死灰复燃了,这真不可思议。
GARCIN: I'll ask you to be more polite. I quite realize the position I'm in, but I won't tolerate...
加尔散:(怒气冲冲地拍击着椅子扶手)我请您少跟我来这套热乎劲儿。我对自己的处境并非不清楚,可我不容许您……
VALET: Sorry, sir. No offense meant. But all our guests aske me the same questions. Silly questions, if you'll pardon my saying so. Where's the torture-chamber? That's the first thing they ask, all of them. They don't bother their heads about the bathroom requisites, that I can assure you. But after a bit, when they've got their nerve back, they start in about their toothbrushes and what-ot. Good heavens, Mr. Garcin, can't you use your brains? What, I ask you, would be the point of brushing your teeth?
听差:好啦!好啦!请您原谅我吧。您说怎么办,所有顾客提的全是同一个问题。他们一来就问:“尖桩刑具在哪儿?”这种时候,我向您担保,他们是不会想到梳洗的。但是,一旦他们定下心来,就要什么牙刷了。可是,看在上帝份上,您就不会仔细想想吗?因为,我倒要问问您,您要刷牙齿干什么?
GARCIN: Yes, of course you're right. And why should one want to see oneself in a looking- glass? But that bronze contraption on the mantelpiece, that's another story. I suppose there will be times when I stare my eyes out at it. Stare my eyes out—see what I mean? All right, let's put our cards on the table. I assure you I'm quite conscious of my position. Shall I tell you what it feels like? A man's drowning, choking, sinking by inches, till only his eyes are just above water. And what does he see? A bronze atrocity by— what's the fellow's name?—Barbedienne. A collector's piece. As in a nightmare. That's their idea, isn't it? No, I suppose you're under orders not to answer questions; and I won't insist. But don't forget, my man, I've a good notion of what's coming to me, so don't you boast you've caught me off my guard. I'm facing the situation, facing it. So that's that; no toothbrush. And no bed, either. One never sleeps, I take it?
加尔散:(平静下来)对,这倒也是的,为什么要刷牙?(环顾四周)一个人为什么要照镜子呢?至于青铜像么,好极了……我想,有些时候,我会全神贯注地凝视着它。全神贯注地,恩?算了,算了,没有什么好隐瞒的;我告诉您,我并非不明白自己的处境。我把那件事的经过讲给您听听,好不好?那个家伙出不来气,往下沉,淹没了,只剩下眼睛还露在水面上,他看见了什么呢?看见了一尊巴尔布迪安纳青铜像。真是在做噩梦呀!算了,人家大概不许您回答我的问题,我不勉强了。但您要记住,人家没办法使我措手不及的;您别跟我吹嘘,说您曾经耍弄了我。我正视自己的处境。(又踱步)这样说来,既没有牙刷,又没有床。因为大家永远不睡觉,不是吗?
VALET: That's so.
听差:那还用说!
GARCIN: Just as I expected. WHY should one sleep? A sort of drowsiness steals on you, tickles you behind the ears, and you feel your eyes closing— but why sleep? You lie down on the sofa and— in a flash, sleep flies away. Miles and miles away. So you rub your eyes, get up, and it starts all over again.
加尔散:我早就预料到了。人为什么要睡觉呢?瞌睡虫从耳朵背后向您袭来。您感到您的眼睛合上了,但干吗要睡觉呢?您在躺椅上躺下来,呜呼呼……瞌睡虫飞走了。您只好擦擦眼睛,又站起来,于是一切又周而复始了。
VALET: Romantic, that's what you are.
听差:您多么善于想象呀!
GARCIN: Will you keep quiet, please! ...I won't make a scene, I shan't be sorry for myself, I'll face the situation, as I said just now. Face it fairly and squarely. I won't have it springing at me from behind, before I've time to size it up. And you call that being "romantic!" So it comes to this; one doesn't need rest. Why bother about sleep if one isn't sleepy? That stands to reason, doesn't it? Wait a minute, there's a snag somewhere; something disagreeable. Why, now, should it be disagreeable? ...Ah, I see; it's life without a break.
加尔散:住嘴!我不叫喊,也不唉声叹气,但我要正视自己的处境,我不愿它从背后扑到我身上来,而我却没法弄清楚是怎么回事。说我善于想象?那是因为大家根本不需要睡觉的缘故。一个人毫无倦意,干吗还要睡觉呢?等一等……等一等,这又有什么难受的呢?为什么这肯定是不好受的呢?我知道了,因为这种生活是没有休止的。
VALET: What are you talking about?
听差:您说的是什么呀?
GARCIN: Your eyelids. We move ours up and down. Blinking, we call it. It's like a small black shutter that clicks down and makes a break. Everything goes black; one's eyes are moistened. You can't imagine how restful, refreshing, it is. Four thousand little rests per hour. Four thousand little respites—just think!...So that's the idea. I'm to live without eyelids. Don't act the fool, you know what I mean. No eyelids, no sleep; it follows, doesn't it? I shall never sleep again. But then—how shall I endure my own company? Try to understand. You see, I'm fond of teasing, it's a second nature with me— and I'm used to teasing myself. Plaguing myself, if you prefer; I don't tease nicely. But I can't go on doing that without a break. Down there I had my nights. I slept. I always had good nights. By way of compensation, I suppose. And happy little dreams. There was a green field. Just an ordinary field. I used to stroll in it...Is it daytime now?
加尔散:说的是您的眼皮。我们这些人,我们的眼皮是要眨巴眨巴的。这么一下叫做眨眼。一道黑色的小闪电一闪,一块眼睑垂下又睁开:这便是一次休止。眼珠子润一润,世界就无影无踪了。您不知道这是多么舒心惬意!一个小时这么休息四千次,等于四千次散心排遣。而当我说四千次时……又怎么样呢?我将不用眼皮过日子了,是吧?别装傻了。没有眼皮就是没有瞌睡,这是一回事。我再也不能睡觉了……可我怎么受得了呢?您努一把力,设身处地想一想:我天性爱逗乐,您瞧……我总爱开玩笑。但是,我……我总不能无休止地逗乐呀。在人世间,昼夜分明,我该睡则睡。我打个甜甜的盹儿,这就得到了补偿。我做一些简简单单的清梦,比方说,梦见一处草地……一处草地,这就是全部的梦境。我梦见自己在草地上散步。请问,现在是白天吗?
VALET: Can't you see? The lights are on.
听差:您明明看见,灯全都亮着。
GARCIN: Ah, yes, I've got it. It's your daytime. And outside?
加尔散:可不是。这就是你们这儿的白天了。那么,外面又是怎么样呢?
VALET: Outside?
听差:(目瞪口呆)外面吗?
GARCIN: Damn it, you know what I mean. Beyond that wall.
加尔散:是外面呀!这四壁之外的地方呀,怎么样?
VALET: There's a passage.
听差:外面有条走廊。
GARCIN: And at the end of the passage?
加尔散:走廊尽头呢?
VALET: There's more rooms, more passages, and stairs.
听差:走廊尽头是别的房间和别的走廊,还有楼梯。
GARCIN: And what lies beyond them?
加尔散:还有什么?
VALET: That's all.
听差:没有了。
GARCIN: But surely you have a day off sometimes. Where do you go?
加尔散:您总有外出的日子吧,您上哪儿?
VALET: To my uncle's place. He's the head valet here. He has a room on the third floor.
听差:到我叔叔那儿去,他是听差头子,住四楼。
GARCIN: I should have guessed as much. Where's the light-switch?
加尔散:我早该想到这一点了。开关在哪儿?
VALET: There isn't any.
听差:没有开关。
GARCIN: What? Can't one turn off the light?
加尔散:怎么办呢?那就不能关灯了?
VALET: Oh, the management can cut off the current if they want to. But I can't remember their having done so on this floor. We have all the electricity we want.
听差:管理处可以关掉总闸的。但我不记得这层楼上曾经有过这类事。我们可以随便用电。
GARCIN: So one has to live with one's eyes open all the time?
加尔散:太好了。那只好睁着眼睛过活了。
VALET: To live, did you say?
听差:(讽刺地)还过活呢……
GARCIN: Don't let's quibble over words. With one's eyes open. Forever. Always broad daylight in my eyes— and in my head. And suppose I took that contraption on the mantelpiece and dropped it on the lamp— wouldn't it go out?
加尔散:您不要挑剔我的字眼。我的意思是,睁着眼睛,永远睁着眼睛。我的眼睛里,甚至脑袋里,总是亮堂堂的大白天。(停顿)如果我把青铜像扔到电灯上,电灯会不会灭?
VALET: You can't move it. It's too heavy.
听差:青铜像太重了。
GARCIN: You're right. It's too heavy.
加尔散:(双手捧着青铜像,设法把它举起来)您说得对,它太重了。
[静场片刻。]
VALET: Very well, sir, if you don't need me any more, I'll be off.
听差:好吧,要是您用不着我,我就走啦。
GARCIN: What? You're going? Wait. That's a bell, isn't it? And if I ring, you're bound to come?
加尔散:(吃惊地)您要走啦?再见。(听差走到门口)等一等。(听差转身)那是电铃吗?(听差点头)我要找您的时候,一按铃就会来,是吗?
VALET: Well, yes, that's so— in a way. But you can never be sure about that bell. There's something wrong with the wiring, and it doesn't always work.
听差:一般来说是的。但这电铃不太听使唤。有什么东西卡住机关了。
[加尔散走到电铃那儿,按电铃,电铃响了。]
GARCIN: It's working all right.
加尔散:它管用!
VALET: So it is. But I shouldn't count on it too much if I were you. It's— capricious. Well, I really must go now.
听差:(惊奇)它管用。(也按铃)但你不要太高兴,它好不了多久,好吧,听您吩咐。
GARCIN: I…
加尔散:(打手势叫它别走)我……
VALET: Yes, sir?
听差:怎么啦?
GARCIN: No, never mind. What's this?
加尔散:不,没什么。(走向壁炉,拿起裁纸刀)这玩意儿是什么?
VALET: Can't you see? An ordinary paper-knife.
听差:您看得出来,是裁纸刀。
GARCIN: Are there books here?
加尔散:这儿有书吗?
VALET: No.
听差:没有。
GARCIN: Then what's the use of this? Very well. You can go.
加尔散:那这是做什么用的?(听差耸耸肩)好,你走吧。
[听差下。]
第二场
[加尔散独自一人。他走向青铜像,用手抚摩它。他坐下,又站起来。他走向电铃,按电钮,电铃不响;他按了两、三次,电铃仍然不响。于是他朝门口走去,想开门,门打不开,他喊人。]
GARCIN: VALET! VALET!
加尔散:听差!听差!